Friday, April 20, 2007

I don't want to make pronouncements that turn out to be insensitive to different cultural realities

From: "Joseph Kugelmass" To: Tusar N. Mohapatra tusarnmohapatra@mail.com
CC: Subject: Re: Re-posting from the Kugelmass Episodes Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:47:47 -0700
Tusar, Cool, thanks.
You ask a good question, one that I might deal with in an upcoming entry. Briefly, the reason why I talk specifically about the West is that I don't want to make pronouncements about the global situation that turn out to be insensitive to different cultural realities in India, the Far East, China, or elsewhere. That said, I've made a point of reading Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, and Sufi texts, and perhaps will try to incorporate ideas from them more consistently in the future.
Best, Joseph
On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Tusar N. Mohapatra wrote: I am really sorry for the lapse and have since posted the necessary corrections. I am in awe of the earnestness that you and your friends exhibit while meditating over human feelings and failings. My only complain is why the discourse does not step outside the boundaries of Western tradition. So nice to talk to you. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment