Tuesday, March 20, 2012

You have been habitually autocratic, unprincipled and arrogant

Dear Mr Das Gupta 
I am sorry to say that your letter fails to answer the basic point I had raised in mine… But your rushing to take such actions comes to me in the least as a surprise. It had happened twice about a decade ago when I was looking after the editorial work of Mother India; then again a year and half ago, when I was giving classes in Knowledge. 
Let me elaborate the point briefly. In an article I had sent for publication for the December 2003 issue of Mother India, I had the following paragraph: […] The said part was not restored and I was in effect forced to resign. Subsequently your exalted self wrote the following to Amal Kiran, the Founder-Editor of Mother India, who rightly supported my stand all along…
You have taken this reported statement of the Mother to throw me away from Mother India; later you maneuvered, practically in a similar manner, to throw me away from the Centre of Education where I was teaching for thirty years. But now you have a strange logic to set aside this statement of the Mother in the case of the author of the offensive and distasteful The Lives of Sri Aurobindo, a biography published in May 2008 by the Columbia University Press, and for which you have given the copyright permission. The biography speaks of the romantic relationship between Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, and you have no objection to it, an inmate of the Ashram mischievously and publicly writing these obscure things.
Not only no objection; you go all the way out to support the visa application of the said author by saying that he is rendering “invaluable services” to the Ashram. The biography is not only denigrative; it is full of distortions and falsifications. If I write or speak about it you rush to gag the freedom of expression, as you have done in a few cases. You have not, for instance, published two of my articles given to you for putting in Mother India; this was more than three years ago. The misrepresentations present in The Lives of Sri Aurobindo are what I have shown in them. Why? What else can I say if this is not perversity? … This also means that, you cannot in your puffed-up imperious manner stop others speaking against an injudicious book…
As an inmate of the Ashram, and with my pretty long association with it since 1950, I feel much concerned in this regard and strongly consider it obligatory on my part to bring it to your attention. I would like to say that you are carrying out management of the Ashram in a most un-Aurobindonian manner, quite lacking the vision for which the Institution stands.
Let me also assert here that this letter of mine is without any prejudice to my rights and remedies available to me in several respects. To summarise my response to your notice I will simply say that it is factually baseless and instead is prejudiced, malafide and arbitrary. I must also say that you have been habitually autocratic, unprincipled and arrogant as is indubitably evident from your past acts. Sincerely Sd/- (RY Deshpande) 15 March 2012

Re: What Jugal told ... A Brief Meeting with Richard by Vikas on Tue 20 Mar 2012 12:20 AM IST |  Profile |  Permanent Link
Now this link reveals some interesting information and makes contrary observations:
"If we went strictly by his stated intentions about the publication of his writings, his complete works might come to about ten volumes. For example, in 1949 he explicitly ruled out the publication of The Future Poetry, The Secret of the Veda and A Defense of Indian Culture without extensive revision which he never had time to do. So his final instructions regarding these books were that they should not be published. There is no such written statement barring the publication of the Record of Yoga. Of course the question simply didn't arise during his lifetime – or the Mother's, as far as it is known. The actual decision to start publishing the Record was made after getting the approval of Nolini Kanta Gupta".


The Hindu : Arts Books : A revolutionary in exile PREMA NANDAKUMAR March 19, 2012 THE TALE OF MY EXILE — Twelve Years in the Andamans: Barindra Kumar Ghose, Introduced and Edited by Sachidananda Mohanty; Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry-605002. Rs. 95.
In the Alipur Bomb Case, on the same day in 1909 when his elder brother Sri Aurobindo was acquitted, Barindra was sentenced to be hanged. However, on appeal, the death sentence was commuted to deportation for life. These “pioneer Andaman-goers of the pioneer Bomb case” included Ullaskar Datta and Hem Chandra Das. Like Sri Aurobindo's reminiscences of his Alipur days as a prisoner in Kara Kahini, The Tale of My Exile bristles with black humour. Indeed, without this armour, no one could survive the ordeal…
Barindra was a fine writer and would become an author and editor in future. The present work in Nolini Kanta Gupta's English also swings us in the waves of hope and despair, obedience and rebellion… Helped by Sachidananda Mohanty's detailed introduction, we go through 12 years when hunger and pain became constant companions to these prisoners… What is significant about the narrative for us is how the idealistic young Barindra turned easily to the expanses of spirituality. As Sachidananda Mohanty rightly says, The Tale of My Exile actually records “the aspiration of a seeker to discover the true meaning of life.”

Sri Aurobindo provides some guidance for how to support the action of the higher force of consciousness at each stage of its development. “In order to allow at

No comments:

Post a Comment