Monday, August 17, 2009

Heehs biography, despite its shortcomings, does contain much of value

M Alan Kazlev has left a new comment on your post "The Mother & Sri Aurobindo have already accomplish...":

At the risk of further offending Mr Wilkinson (who I'm afraid gives away too much of his power by creating imaginary enemies), I have to say I agree with Tusar. Sri Aurobindo and The Mother's teachings are radically new and cannot be explained in terms of earlier formulations like the "perennial philosophy" (which is not to discredit the great wisdom and insights contained in the latter). And Sri Aurobindo said "my life is not on the surface for others to see". I also would also agree that very few understand the importance of their yogic accomplishments (this goes for all great Realizers, but for Integral avatars most of all).

Perhaps I am missing the context of Tusar's post, but I really don't understand why he should be attacked for writing what he did. And is Robert defending or attacking Peter Heehs and Carter Phipps? Personally I feel that the Heehs biography, despite its shortcomings, does contain much of value. Posted by M Alan Kazlev to Savitri Era at 4:18 PM, August 16, 2009

Swami Ramalingam from Integral Transformation by m alan kazlev
About a month or two ago my friend and correspondent Rick Lipschutz told me about the work of the late T.R.Thulasiram, a Tamil devotee of Sri Aurobindo, the Mother, Swami Ramdas, and Swami Ramalingam (my brief (at time of writing) page, Wikipedia page), also known as Vallalar) and resident of Sri Aurobindo ashram...

For me now the Integral Paradigm begins primarily with the yoga of Thirumoolar, Ramalingam, Sri Aurobindo and Mirra (the Mother), although there seem to be a few amazing parallels with Christ, and perhaps one can go back further to Ancient Egypt. All this refers to the yoga of the perfection (divinisation) of the body (hence also siddha and Taoist yogic alchemy). In classic spirituality the body and things of the world are disparaged (with only a few exceptions, e.g. Paganism, Tantra etc), but this is a yoga that includes the body. I still take Sri Aurobindo's definition of Integral Yoga as the esoteric core of the integral paradigm - the complete and evolutionary divinisation of the entire being.

This is not to deny the importance of the secular Integral philosophies or studies of Teilhard, Gebser, Haskell, Jantsch, Maslow, Murphy, Paul Ray, Wilber, etc. However I do make a distinction between the radical esoteric yoga of Integral divinisation, and the "exoteric" theories of synthesis of psycho-socio developmental and evolutionary levels. August 6, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment