Monday, February 12, 2007

You have a freedom here to become whoever you want to become

Aryadeep Says: February 10th, 2007 at 4:18 pm In a community like Auroville – because you have access to time and space, and you do have absolutely freedom to do what you like, money is not a constraint, really – you have a freedom here to become whoever you want to become. And I think the natural tendency is to become who you are. The thing that you see in children and the thing I like in working with children is that they know who they are. They might not be likable, but they are who they are.
I don’t really see spiritual growth as a separate thing. I believe it has very much to do with your personal development of who you are. Auroville is a terrific opportunity not just for spiritual growth on an individual level but spiritual growth in terms of consideration and cooperation and relating to the rest of the community.
In Sri Aurobindo’s writings, there is a volume of work which is mostly about The Life Divine, which is actually a guide for the spiritual sadhak. That’s information that you don’t approach simply out of curiosity. If I am having some sort of spiritual difficulty, I suddenly find that that sort of literature speaks directly to me, to my need for spiritual sustenance. I have been in situations when I felt like on the borderline of sanity, and then I found that if you reach into these spiritual teachings, they are an incredibly powerful food.
aryadeep has left a new comment on your post "You have a freedom here to become whoever you want...": Dear editor, Please ascribe these words to Johnny, an oldtime resident of Auroville and not to me. He said this in an interview with Auroville Today in October 06. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Dear editor,

    Please ascribe these words to Johnny, an oldtime resident of Auroville and not to me. He said this in an interview with Auroville Today in October 06. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete