Monday, January 15, 2007

There is much misinterpretation and a certain laziness. Intellectual rigour is crucial to maintain

Re: "'Savitri' by heart," by Sonia Dyne RY Deshpande Sat 13 Jan 2007 07:05 AM PST What a beautiful comment you have made, Kim! Heart-touching! Savitri can certainly be an upasana grantha, a Book for Spiritual Practices. In fact it is, and everything is available in it. That makes me a bit introspective also. All that I am doing in the context of Savitri's awaking on the fated day, may be too much of mentalisation. It may have its own value, and pleasure, but as upasana--well, I don't know. What do you say? and others, that we have now Sonia Dyne's article here. By the way, I had read it earlier also. And yet... RYD
rjon Sat 13 Jan 2007 03:53 PM PST Dear RY, I appreciate your sensitive introspection re if: "...All that I am doing in the context of Savitri's awaking on the fated day, may be too much of mentalisation [?]" I certainly don't think so. In my opinion your Savitri series is a real contribution to SCIY; they certainly have given me new insights into Savitri's profound depth. Personally, I hope you'll continue posting them. I see Sonia Dyne's article as posing a "both/and" rather than an "either/or" choice between a "mental" or "multi-media" mantric/music/art approach to studying Savitri. As she says in her article, "It has been claimed that multi-sensory experience, which at best should include mental insight, leads to an intuitive grasp of reality that is more profound (because wider in scope) and less articulate, in the intellectual sense." [my emphasis] Doesn't the integral approach include even apparent mutual exclusivites? Btw, I'd love to make available on SCIY the "almost complete set of tapes recording the Mother's readings and Sunil's music" that Sonia refers to. Do you know if it's available for purchase anywhere? ~ ron
rakesh Sat 13 Jan 2007 10:16 PM PST Even I would like to read your articles on Savitri. They give me better understanding and interest to read savitri again and again. I have started reading Sri Aurobindo's works with the mind and through the mind alone discovered deeper truths. The mind is influenced by psychic when reading about these matters and its also a sadhana. For people like me your articles are a great benefit.
Kim Sun 14 Jan 2007 07:20 PM PST Perhaps there is benefit in both approaches - the mental and the heart/by heart. Perhaps this is the integration we seek, where both approaches can be seen as one, interdependent, the mind - the heart, the very being - all mutually beneficial? I very much value your detailed Savitri postings and am learning so much from them. I appreciate that you are open to questioning every approach as well.
Re: Re: Hermeneutics & Quantum Gravity, "Why I Did It," by Alan Sokal Kim Sun 14 Jan 2007 08:25 PM PST I'm don't know much about social and cultural criticism, honestly, but this article and the links listed at the bottom are important, particularly for a webzine like SCIY. Intellectual rigour is crucial to maintain here, I should think. In my limited experience with the work of Mother and Sri Aurobindo, it seems that - not on this webzine but in the larger world - there is much misinterpretation when it comes to understanding what they were up to, and a certain laziness about learning it in the presence of the question. This is just a subjective, personal observation, of course. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that spiritual matters are more obtuse than the laws of physics and more difficult to substantiate. I don't know. At any rate, at the risk of being obtuse myself and falling into the lazy category I've just been describing, I'll end it here with a sort of "volte-face" of my own - more discriminating posts in future.
Re: *Getting Started with SCIY* koantum Sun 14 Jan 2007 09:18 PM PST Why cannot registered readers submit posts (rather than merely comments), which of course would have to be approved by you, dear moderators? Afraid to say "no"?

No comments:

Post a Comment